Thursday, May 31, 2012

Here she is!

Kennedy Ann Neva Born Friday May 25th at 11:47 a.m. 6 lbs 12 oz 19 1/2 inches I went for my weekly doctor appointment on Thursday and everything looked really good. I was dilated to a 4 and 90% effaced. He tried to stimulate everything the best he could so I would hopefully go into labor soon. If I started having contractions he told me to go to the hospital. I fell asleep really early that night and woke up the next morning at 4:30 having contractions with some pretty good pain. I could tell that these contractions were very different than any I had felt before so I knew that this could be it. I began timing them to see how far apart they were and if they were constant and regular. They were all about 5 minutes apart so I decided to get up, shower, and get ready just in case I needed to go the hospital. At 5:30 Kyle woke up and I told him that I think we needed to go the hospital. We got to the hospital at 6:30 and I was dilated to a 5 and 100% effaced. A few hours later the doctor came and broke my water. I struggled all morning with the decision to get the epidural or not, but when the contractions started getting harder I decided I just wanted to enjoy the process and not have to deal with the pain. I wish I could've sucked it up and toughed it out, but it was nice being able to talk and be with everyone that was in the delivery room. After my water broke and I had my epidural it was a waiting game. My contractions were not very consistent and the strength varied. The baby's heart beat also started to get a little low so they kept having me move around to see if the baby's heart beat would increase. I told Kyle that I felt like I was going to throw up so he needed to go ask the nurse for a bag in case I did. Apparently since I felt like I was going to throw up that meant I was ready to deliver the baby. My contractions were pretty far apart so we had to wait awhile until I could push. I pushed through three contractions and then they realized the cord was wrapped around her neck. The nurse told me they were going to call the NICU. I wasn't really worried and didn't really know what was going on. Kyle's sister told me everything was fine so I stayed pretty calm. Since my contractions were so far apart and her heartbeat was dropping the doctor had to cut me open and suck her out with the vacuum. I was really glad I had the epidural then because I would have really been in pain. Apparently she was pretty blue in color when she came out and it took her a few seconds before she started to cry. Everything turned out great though and everyone couldn't be happier. This first week having her home has been a whirlwind of emotions for me. For the first few days everything was fun and exciting. She slept quite a bit and the nights were pretty easy. I was loving being a mom and taking care of my baby. Since the novelty has started to wear off and the nights aren't that easy anymore I have began to realize that my life really has been changed forever. I am still loving being a mom and am so grateful that I get this opportunity. I know all these emotions are mostly just my hormones being out of sync and things will soon be back to normal. I know it won't always be easy being a mom but it will be worth it.

5 comments:

The Meachams said...

Glad everything worked out for you. Congrats! She is a cutie!! :) Everything will even itself out with the hormones, emotions and such. I was a basketcase and crying all the time for the first couple weeks. Everyone handles it differently.

Nate and Erin Russell said...

She is so gorgeous! A million congrats to you, Kim! I'm excited to see more blog posts of her :)

Jen and Josh said...

SO glad you posted this. It looks like everything went pretty smooth! I am praying for that!haha. congrats, she is a beauty. hope you are loving the life of a mom, I'm sure the hormones and emotions will settle down. I'm still hoping to come by and meet her sometime. I'll keep you posted with my little babe!

Kristin said...

Yay!! Congrats Kim! She's a doll! It is a big adjustment and will be... And I'm sure you hear this a lot ... But it gets better!!! You're awesome!

Josh and Kensey said...

She is a doll!! Congrats being a mom is the greatest. Oh and I love her name!! So cute!